These are free online resources that every virtual assistant, web developer or online entrepreneur needs to know about. They are free and some have paid upgrades, depending on your needs. Be sure to bookmark this page and visit often as I am constantly finding and sharing new resources.
- Clipping Magic – Easily remove image backgrounds and create photo cutouts online. Beta.
- Compfight – Search engine for visual inspiration and free stock photos for the advertising community including images of creative commons and public domain.
- Flickr – Flickr is a large amateur photography site, but make sure you check the “Find Contents to Use Commercially” box.
- Fotopedia – Fotopedia has a built in creative commons search engine which spans several image websites. This site stands out with the quality of the images you can find here
- Icon Finder – A great source for free icons. Just make sure that you select the “Allowed For Commercial Use” option when searching for an image.
- Infogr.am – Easily add graphs, maps, text, and even playable videos without diving deep into a design program. It also has social sharing tools built right into the infographic, so you don’t have to worry about creating a custom Pin-It button. It’s a pretty nifty tool if you want to create and ship an infographic — fast.
- PhotoXpress A great collection of 100% free stock photography images. The only drawback is that you need to register (registration is free) and you can only download one image per day.
- UnSplash – Free hi-resolution photos to do with whatever you like. 10 new photos every ten days. Subscribe to have them delivered to your email box.
- Cropp.me is a uber cool and easy-to-use online tool for auto-cropping created by imagga. It shows our ability to find the most interesting region in an image and suggest the right cropping for it based on the size you need.
- FlipAPicture – Flip an image vertically or flop an image horizontally.
- Lunapic – Free and Easy to use online image effects. Easily create transparent backgrounds for your website images.
- PDF2JPG – Convert PDF – Want to convert PDF to JPG? Submit your PDF, we convert it to JPG, online. You will also have the opportunity to download the pictures as a zip file.
- PlaceIt – Sometimes, you need a photo of your website, blog, or Twitter profile, but with a polished flair. While you can try manually customizing your screenshot to fit into a stock photo you already have, PlaceIt is an even better alternative. Upload photos directly into Creative Commons-enabled stock photos — you’ll see your screenshots come to life immediately.
- PicMarker – PicMarkr lets you to add custom watermark (image or text) to your images online and free. It is useful when you need to protect your copyrights or if you want to add comments
to your photos.
- PicMonkey – If you want to spruce up your images — recolor them, add borders, add text, and even insert graphics on top — all without downloading yet another program to your computer, check out PicMonkey.
- PicResize – Easily crop, resize, and edit your images online for FREE at PicResize. (I use this all the time!)
- Pictaculous – Ever wonder what colors to use with an image? Upload your image and get a color palette. Eliminate the guesswork.
- Pixlr Free, fun, easy and no registration. What more could one ask of an online image editor?
- PowerPoint – This is actually an excellent blog post on how to quickly and easily remove the background from a picture using PowerPoint.
- Zopim – Connect with your visitors by chatting with them in real time. The “lite” version is free and they offer a basic and an advanced level. I am using it on this site! Just check out the bottom right of each page to contact me.
- Marketing Grader – Free tool from Hubspot gives you the opportunity to grade your marketing by giving you a full report on how your current website is doing with your online marketing efforts. You really should do this regularly.
- Date Calculator – This free online tool enables you to add or subtract days, months and years to a date to calculate a past or future date. Very helpful for determining when auto-payments are due in membership sites.
- Free Conference Calling.com – While reliable, clear audio conferencing is the most important feature with any conference call service, you also have an entire suite of features to enhance the overall experience for you and your conference call participants, all for free!
- Title or Subject Line Generator – An outstanding title can increase tweets, Facebook Likes, and visitor traffic by 50% or more. Just enter your topic and go!
- Topical Brainstorm – Headline Generator
- Tweak Your Biz Thesaurus – Online Thesaurus based upon the Project Gutenberg Etext of Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward
- Quozio – Quozio turns meaningful words into beautiful images in seconds. Then share them on Facebook, Pinterest, email and more!
- LiveLuvCreate – Create beautiful, amazing, and inspiring photos as wells as write fanfictions.
- Rolfbot – Ever wonder how people make those nifty LOLcats images? Simply upload your image to Rolfbot and caption away!
- Awesome Screenshot – Free screenshot tool. Capture the whole page or any portion, annotate it with rectangles, circles, arrows, lines and text, one-click upload to share.
- Greenshot – A light-weight screenshot software tool for Windows.
- Manager Flitter. Free online tool provides you with a set of easy to use tools to empower you to work smarter and faster with Twitter.
- Sopularity – Free online tool suggests the most appropriate trending hashtags for your tweets which leads to a significant increase of the stretchability and popularity of your tweets.
- BlogTalkRadio Blog Talk Radio is the worlds largest social radio network. Create your own internet radio show, listen to thousands of internet radio shows and podcasts live each day. Listen to Your Partner In Success Radio with host Denise Griffitts here.
- Coffitivity.com – According to their site, research shows that it’s hard to be creative in a totally quiet space. And, a very loud environment is also not beneficial. But, a background like a coffee shop where there’s an background that’s a mix of “calm and commotion” is the perfect environment to think clearly and get stuff done.Coffitivity is simply the background noise that you can play in your headset when the environment around you is less than ideal for working in.
- Fiverr – Fiverr is a marketplace where you can find people who will do just about anything for five bucks. There are many occasions where you need something done, a graphic, a document, a voice over, (the possibilities are endless) and you either don’t have the time, or the skill to do it. Head on over to Fiverr!
- Lumosity – Brain Training – Lumosity is a free online resource to help you to increase your memory, your brain’s speed and flexibility, and your overall problem solving capabilities. It’s fun and you can use their app to play the brain games on the go.
- Unstoppable Productivity Software – The Unstoppable Productivity Software works around the premise of keeping you totally focused for a set period of time. You set the amount of time that you want to write or work on a technical project, say 45 minutes. Then the time goes off and you know it’s time to get up, stretch, sneak in a little domestic work, grab some water and check on the family pets. Sit back down and repeat the process. The software keeps you accountable to yourself to get your to do list done in a fraction of the time.
- WordPress Keyboard Shortcuts – This is a very helpful article that shows you how to make the most of the post interface (kitchen sink) in WordPress.
WordPress and Website Tools
- iPad Emulator – Online iPad Emulator for Developers – A quick and easy way to see what your website looks like on the iPad.
- Redirect Checker This online tool to check redirects analyses the HTTP-header and the page contents and identifies in seconds 301 and 302 redirects and HTML redirects (meta refresh).
- Marketing Grader Find out what your website grade is instantly by going to MarketingGrader.com. Just type in your URL and find out within seconds what is working and what needs immediate attention. You will be glad you did!
- What WordPress Theme Is That? Free online tool allows you to easily detect what WordPress theme a site uses (including parent and child themes). Additionally, it will also detect what WordPress Plugins are being used.